The foundation of the Port of Kherson is considered the day of the founding of the fortress and the shipyard by the decree of Empress Catherine II of June 18, 1778
The city was created to protect the southern borders of the Russian Empire. To strengthen them, it was decided to build a city at the mouth of the Dnieper with a shipyard, a commercial pier and a fortress, which were to become the base for the creation of the Black Sea fleet. The name of the city was given in honor of the ancient Greek and later Byzantine colony of Tauric Chersonesos. In 1803, Kherson received the status of a provincial center, its first coat of arms and began to develop as a commercial port. For large cargo transportation, the port was not used for a long time due to the insufficient depth of the Dnieper.