The city of Kherson was founded by the decree of Catherine II dated June 18, 1778.

The city was created to protect the southern borders of the Russian Empire. To strengthen them, it was decided to build a city at the mouth of the Dnieper with a shipyard, a commercial pier and a fortress, which were to become the base for the creation of the Black Sea fleet. The name of the city was given in honor of the ancient Greek and later Byzantine colony of Chersonesos. Thus, the Empire declared itself the legal successor of the ancient state and declared its rights to these lands.